Remarks by Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung at the Press Conference on the 36th ASEAN Summit
CMSC Below is the full text of the remark by Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung at the Press Conference on the 36th ASEAN Summit.
Excellencies Ambassadors, Chargés d’affaires, and representatives of Embassies in Hanoi,
International and Vietnamese members of the press,
1. Today, on behalf of the National ASEAN 2020 Committee, I would like to provide reporters with information on the upcoming 36th ASEAN Summit on 26 June 2020. This is the first official Summit during our 2020 ASEAN Chairmanship. Initially, the Summit was scheduled for April 2020. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Viet Nam has decided to postpone the Summit until late June 2020 in the hope that we can convene in-person as usual. Nevertheless, given the complex developments of the pandemic to date, Viet Nam and fellow ASEAN members have concurred in organizing this Summit via video conference.
2. In keeping with our norms, the first Summit of the year will be an internal meeting among ASEAN Leaders. They will review the progress in ASEAN Community-building since the 35th ASEAN Summit, identify directions for implementing this year’s priorities and ASEAN’s external relations in the upcoming time, and discuss regional and international issues of common interest. Particularly, given the present situation, it is certain that ASEAN Leaders will focus on discussing cooperation on responding to COVID-19 and enhancing ASEAN’s recovery capacity.
In this spirit, ASEAN Leaders will listen to reports and comment on ASEAN’s cooperation in the first half of 2020 across the political-security, economic and socio-cultural pillars. Viet Nam, as the ASEAN Chair, has worked with other ASEAN members in fulfilling the dual responsibilities of “focusing on combating the COVID-19 pandemic and maintaining efforts to build the ASEAN Community and implement the priorities set out for 2020”.
Regarding the response to the pandemic, ASEAN has made use of coordination and cooperation mechanisms and organized numerous virtual meetings within ASEAN across all levels and sectors, notably the Special ASEAN Summit on COVID-19 on April 14. Leaders have agreed on several specific measures, including the establishment of a COVID-19 ASEAN Response Fund and a regional reserve of medical supplies, formulation of an ASEAN Standard Operating Procedure for Public Health Emergencies, and development of a post-pandemic recovery plan. ASEAN has also held virtual meetings with partners such as China, the US, the EU and Russia, to promote international cooperation against COVID-19 and overcome the pandemic’s impacts.
Regarding the Community-building and implementation of initiatives and priorities of our ASEAN 2020 Chairmanship: ASEAN is actively conducting the Mid-term Review of the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity 2025 in all three pillars, reviewing the enforcement of the ASEAN Charter, initiating discussions on the Post-2025 ASEAN Community Vision, implementing measures to elevate the profile and identity ASEAN, and strengthening cooperation with our partners.
3. During the 36th ASEAN Summit, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc will chair the Special Session of ASEAN Leaders on Women’s Empowerment in the Digital Age. This is the initiative proposed by Viet Nam to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action in promoting women’ rights. This activity also serves to reaffirm ASEAN's commitment to fully and effectively meet the goals set out in the Beijing Platform for Action, promote gender equality, and enhance women’s role in ASEAN’s socio-economic development and cooperation.
Invited to this Special Session are H.E. Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, President of the National Assembly, H.E. Jacinda Arden, Prime Minister of New Zealand, Secretary-General of ASEAN Dato Lim Jock Hoi, and Madam Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Executive Secretary of the UN’s Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc will also chair Interfaces between ASEAN Leaders and Representatives of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) led by the President of the Vietnamese National Assembly and President of AIPA-41 Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan. The Standing Vice President of the National Assembly Tong Thi Phong will attend this Interface as the Head of the Vietnamese delegation at AIPA.
In addition, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and other ASEAN Leaders will also participate in Interfaces with Representatives of the ASEAN Youth and the ASEAN Business Advisory Council (ASEAN-BAC). Through dialogues with representatives of various branches and sectors in ASEAN, ASEAN Leaders wish to promote cohesiveness and the active participation of diverse social actors in the regional integration process and ASEAN Community-building.
4. The 36th ASEAN Summit will take place within a day on 26 June 2020, with the Opening Ceremony and Plenary Session from 8.30 am to 10.30 am. The afternoon sessions will begin at 2.30 pm with the Special Session on Women’s Empowerment, the Interfaces with Representatives of AIPA, ASEAN Youth and the ABAC. The Summit will be concluded with the International Press Conference hosted by the Prime Minister at 6.15 pm.
Prior to the Summit, from June 22 to 24, 2020, there will be a series of Preparatory Meetings in preparation of the 36th ASEAN Summit. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh will chair the Informal Meeting of ASEAN Foreign Ministers, the 26th ASEAN Coordinating Council Meeting and the 21st ASEAN Political-Security Council Meeting. Minister of Industry and Trade Tran Tuan Anh will host the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Intersessional Ministerial Meeting. Minister of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs Dao Ngoc Dung will preside over the 23rd ASEAN Socio-Cultural Council Meeting.
5. Regarding the Summit's documents, ASEAN Leaders will adopt the Chairman’s Statement of the 36th ASEAN Summit, the Vision Statement on a Cohesive and Responsive ASEAN and the ASEAN Statement on Human Resources Development for the Changing World of Work, and take note of a number of other documents.
6. For press members reporting on the 36th ASEAN Summit, the Summit’s Press Room at the International Convention Center will be opened on 26 June 2020. During other meeting days, waiting rooms for reporters will be arranged. Videos and photos of the Summit will be provided for free on the website www.asean2020.vn.
Finally, on 26 June, from 6.15 pm to 6.45 pm, reporters are invited to the international press conference following the 36th ASEAN Summit, chaired by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, at the Press Conference Room./.